Whataburger celebrates Valentine’s Day with a sweetheart deal for couples featuring its most beloved limited time menu item. From 5 to 10 p.m. on Sunday, February 14, any couple can purchase a Patty Melt Whatameal, which includes fries and a drink, and receive a second Patty Melt Whatameal free for dine-in service. Customers can even send a special e-vite from www.whataburger.com to ask their Valentines to join them for “I Love Patty Melt” night.
Whataburger fans who found love under the orange W are the inspiration for the burger chain’s “I Love Patty Melt” promotion. Customer John Miller met his wife Linda at a San Antonio, Texas, Whataburger in 1981 when she was an assistant manager and he stopped in for breakfast. Their first date followed over a Whataburger breakfast and two weeks later, they became engaged. The couple still celebrates every November 28 at “their” Whataburger and in 2008, arrived to find a reserved table prepared for them by the restaurant team with white linens, flowers, cake and matching his-and-her Whataburger-branded Fossil watches.
“We’ve heard so many great Whataburger love stories from our customers, and our ‘I Love Patty Melt’ promotion is our way of thanking them for sharing their stories and hopefully inspiring some new ones,” said Rich Scheffler, Whataburger Restaurants, LP Group Director of Marketing. “We hope to see everyone – from couples who have just met to couples like the Millers who have been married for more than 25 years – enjoying our Patty Melt together on Valentine’s Day.”
Whataburger holds special memories for many customers, like Naomi Davis of Deer Park, Texas, who says she and her husband went dancing on their first date, and afterwards he asked where she’d like to go eat. She said “Whataburger” and that’s when he said he knew she was the one. Whataburger fan and National Guardsman Darrell Clendennen returned home from an overseas tour of duty in December to surprise his bride of 25 years with an anniversary party at a Houston Whataburger that had been specially decorated for the occasion. Newlyweds Kristen and James Gardiner, who met at a Whataburger while still in college, were engaged at that same Whataburger in College Station, Texas, and later posed for their wedding photos there.
Whataburger’s tasty Patty Melt, available through March 1, is made with two 100 percent fresh, never frozen, American beef patties grilled to perfection, topped with two slices of Monterey Jack cheese, grilled onions and a creamy pepper sauce between two slices of Texas toast. The meal comes with fries however customers can substitute a side salad for an additional charge. The Patty Melt first debuted on the menus in 2008.
ABOUT WHATABURGER SERVES:
“I Love Patty” is part of Whataburger Serves. The long term initiative includes events to build employee team spirit and morale, customer appreciation initiatives with fun moments and free food offers, and community initiatives that will support groups in need. To learn more about Whataburger Serves and coming plans, visit www.whataburger.com/whataburger_serves.
Whataburger has focused on its fresh, made-to-order burgers and friendly customer service since 1950 when Harmon Dobson opened the first Whataburger as a small roadside burger stand in Corpus Christi, Texas. Dobson gave his restaurant a name he hoped to hear customers say every time they took a bite of his made-to-order burgers: “What a burger!” Within the first week, people lined up around the block for his 25 cent, all-American beef burgers served on five-inch buns. Today, the company is headquartered in San Antonio, Texas, with more than 700 locations in 10 states with sales of more than $1 billion annually. Visit www.whataburger.com for more information on the company.
- Restaurant Marketing Secrets
- The Restaurant Marketing Bible: How To Market Your Restaurant on a Shoestring Budget
- Restaurant Marketing Strategies: Dramatically Improve Your Restaurant Profits While Spending Less Money
- Foodservice Marketing for the ’90s: How to Become the #1 Restaurant in Your Neighborhood
- Restaurant Marketing for Owners and Managers
- The Food Service Professionals Guide to: Increasing Restaurant Sales
- The Food Service Professional Guide to Restaurant Promotion & Publicity: For Just a Few Dollars a Day
- Restaurant Biz Is Showbiz!: Why Marketing Is the Key to Your Success
- Restaurant Newsletters That Pay Off
- Grassroots Marketing For The Restaurant Industry
- Marketing Plan for a Fast-casual Restaurant (Fill-in-the-Blank Marketing Plans, Volume 1 – Fast-casual Restaurant)
- 1000 Restaurant, Bar, and Cafe Graphics: From Signage to Logos and Everything In Between
- Bar and Restaurant Logos
- Logos of American Restaurants
- Creative Restaurant Graphics 1: Excellence in Contemporary Design