Zagat released the results of the 2011/12 Connecticut Restaurants Survey today. The guide is available in bookstores, at ZAGAT.com and via Zagat’s suite of mobile apps. The Survey covers 902 restaurants reviewed by 4,146 local diners. Highlights are as follows:
- Winners: Le Petit Cafe in Branford (Top Food) with a near-perfect 29 for Food on Zagat’s 30-point scale; PolytechnicON20 in Hartford (Top Decor & Service); Frank Pepe Pizzeria (Most Popular).
- Top Newcomer: Boathouse at Saugatuck in Westport, serving “fabulous, fresh” “locavore” New American cuisine.
- Other Noteworthy Newcomers: Bar Bouchee – Madison, The Brasserie – Fairfield, Cafe d’Azur – Darien, Fez – Stamford, Gabriele’s – Greenwich, Millstone Cafe – Kent, Red Lulu – So. Norwalk, Sails – Norwalk and Tappo – Stamford.
- Best Buys: Shady Glen diner (Manchester) and “hot-dog temple” Super Duper Weenie (Fairfield) are Nos. 1 and 2.
- The Average Cost of a meal remained flat at $37.73 – just a two cent rise from $37.71 in 2009.
- Tips Continue to Increase: 19.2% this year, up from 19.1% in 2009 and 18.9% in 2007.
- Main Complaints: Service (63%), Noise (19%), Food (9%) and Prices (5%).
- Favorite Cuisines: Italian (33%), American (15%), French (15%) and Japanese (10%).
- Mobile Manners: 71% say it is “rude” to text, tweet, call or e-mail at the table.
- Letter Grades: 80% feel restaurants should be required to post Department of Health letter grades.
- Green: 61% of surveyors say locally sourced, organic or sustainably raised food is important.
- Cash-Only: 45% say they avoid “cash-only” restaurants.
- Battle of the Sexes: 25% think male diners are treated better; only 5% say females are favored.
Known as the “burgundy bible,” Zagat Survey is the world’s most trusted source for consumer-generated survey information. With a worldwide network of surveyors, Zagat rates and reviews restaurants, hotels, nightlife, movies, music, golf, shopping and a range of other entertainment categories and is lauded as the “most up-to-date,” “comprehensive” and “reliable” guide, published on all platforms. Zagat content is available to consumers wherever and whenever they need it: on ZAGAT.com, ZAGAT.mobi, ZAGAT TO GO for smartphones and in book form.